[SI-LIST] Re: SI analysis on Low frequency signals

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: olaney@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 11:30:11 -0400

Ultimately, it depends on the sensitivity of the receiver, the type of
interface, and the coding used, which translates into signal-to-noise
ratio.
    * First, define the required signal-to-noise ratio @ 500 Hz.
          o The signal-to-noise ratio will depend upon whether the
            signal is digital/analog, single-ended/differential.
    * Second, determine all potential sources of noise and crosstalk @
      500 Hz.
          o Trace-to-trace on same layer
          o Trace-to-trace on multiple layers
          o Trace-to-trace through planes
          o Plane-to-plane to trace
          o etc.

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of

olaney@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> Certainly there is a possibility, but if your sensor is running at 500 Hz
> you should be able to discard virtually all crosstalk and interference
> with a low pass filter.  But, I have to ask: are you talking about 500 Hz
> sine waves (for instance from an LVDT), or 500 bursts per second of
> digital information.  Those are not at all alike, and require different
> approaches
>
> Orin
>
> On Wed, 28 May 2008 14:22:43 +0530 "Umamaheswar U-TLS,Chennai"
> <umamaheswaruk@xxxxxx> writes:
>
>> Hi all,
>>

>> We have a design where 500Hz signals are traveling from external
>> sensor
>> to the board; in the vicinity of the 500Hz signals, high frequency
>> signals and digitals sections are present. So I am concerned with
>> the
>> signal quality( Crosstalk), is there any possibility that 500Hz
>> signals
>> get affected due to the nearby high frequency signals.
>>
>> Do I need to do SI analysis on that board to know the crosstalk, or
>> any
>> articles or theoretical analysis is sufficient to know the crosstalk
>> and
>> any guidelines in the PCB layout will work?
>>

>> Please help me.
>>

>> Thanks in advance[Umamaheswar U-TLS,Chennai] .
>>

>> Thanks& Regards
>>
>> U.K.UMAMAHESWAR
>>

>> DISCLAIMER:

>> The contents of this e-mail and any attachment(s) are confidential
>> and intended for the named recipient(s) only.
>> It shall not attach any liability on the originator or HCL or its
>> affiliates. Any views or opinions presented in
>> this email are solely those of the author and may not necessarily
>> reflect the opinions of HCL or its affiliates.
>> Any form of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure,
>> modification, distribution and / or publication of
>> this message without the prior written consent of the author of this
>> e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have
>> received this email in error please delete it and notify the sender
>> immediately. Before opening any mail and
>> attachments please check them for viruses and defect.

>> field

>> ww.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
>>
>> For help:
>>

>> List technical documents are available at: