[SI-LIST] Re: Routing Parallel vs. Paralell

  • From: "Xilei Liu" <xileil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx, pcbjack@xxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 16:54:08 +0000

Jack,
Wondering whether I should give your MATH question my PHYSICAL answer or
not.

Firstly, I assume that the coupling you mentioned refers to the coupling
between these two traces of different configurations.

Secondly, assuming that you have 1.6mm FR4(er=4.31), double sided, size
30*30mm^2; by APLAC simulation, the coupling factor(Ze-Zo)/(Ze+Zo) for 6mil
traces (1/2oz) routed 6mil broadside is about 0.65; and the coupling factor
for 6mil traces routed 6mil(edge to edge) side by side is about 0.60;  1oz
copper doesn't change the results with 1/2oz copper.

So, it sounds that the statement"traces routed 1 inch in parallel will
couple the same amount as traces routed .2 inches broadside (layer to
layer)" is incredible, unless there is air or other material between "layer
to layer"?

Well, should leave this MATH question to experts. Please give me $3 whenever
possible ;)

Regards,
Celine

List FAQ wiki page is located at: