[SI-LIST] Re: Resonant Modes

  • From: xuzhengrong <xuzhengrong@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 16:26:36 +0800

 Steve,
I'm very glad to receive your reply and have learnt a lot from your =
papers
issued on DesignCon.
I know  increasing ESR and decreasing inductance can lower  Qs  which
decreases the resonance and makes the impedance  smooth.
What I meant is that, for the same plane pair structure with the same
capacitors,  when I set the number of modes and simulate,  I will get =
datas
of  different mode such as Mode 1, Mode2 and so on.
According to the figure of the result, it seems that Mode 1 shows the
resonance from  horizontal angle,  Mode 2 from vertical angle, Mode 3 =
from
diagonal angle, etc. Different mode analyzes the resonance from =
different
angle.
As my last mail  said,  every mode has a certain frequency and Q =
increases
with the number of modes and corresponding frequency in term of the =
result.
Mode 1 is the lowest frequency among all.  Therefore,  with the =
increasement
of the number of modes,  more resonant frequency will appear.
You mean,  I only pay attention to the bandwidth of significant signal =
which
may excite the resonance. Ok, I see.

My following question is, why do Qs increase with the number of modes =
and
frequency  for the same cavity and PDN?
Which imformation will I obtain  from Qs?=20
For Q indicates the ratio of  storage and loss,  does it mean larger =
number
of Mode with higher resonant frequency will let more energy pass?

Best  Regards
Zhengrong Xu

-----=D3=CA=BC=FE=D4=AD=BC=FE-----
=B7=A2=BC=FE=C8=CB: si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx =
[mailto:si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
=B4=FA=B1=ED steve weir
=B7=A2=CB=CD=CA=B1=BC=E4: 2007=C4=EA8=D4=C229=C8=D5 14:02
=CA=D5=BC=FE=C8=CB: xuzhengrong@xxxxxxxxxx
=B3=AD=CB=CD: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
=D6=F7=CC=E2: [SI-LIST] Re: Resonant Modes

Zhengrong,

Pay attention to the resonances that are within the bandwidth of =
significant
signal energy from your loads and/or injected into your return path.

Q depends on the capacitors and materials you use for your PCB. Low =
mounted
inductance capacitors such as X2Ys exhibit lower Qs than capacitors with
higher mounted inductances and similar ESRs.

Cavities that are thinner and/or have higher tangent losses exhibit =
lower Qs
than do thicker cavities and/or cavities with lower tangent loss.

At the end of the day you are always fighting inductance in your =
capacitors
and interconnect. You can manipulate modes and Q by manipulating your
capacitors and cavity geometries.

Steve.

si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx=20
> and =3D si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx this time.
> I'm new here and very glad to join in.=3D20 Could you tell me the=20
> relationship between si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx and=20
> si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx? When i want to join the discussion,=20
> which =3D mail address will i send to?
>
> Thank you for your reminder with  best regards.=3D20 My question is=20
> listed as follows.
>

> Hi all,
> I am new in using EM tools to analyze the plane pairs' resonance.
> After inputing the number of modes and computing, the results have =3D =

> several values including freqency and Q. Every mode has a certain=20
> frequency and =3D Q increases with the number of modes.=3D20 =3D20 =
Which=20

[mailto:olaney@xxxxxxxx]=3D20
> =3DB7=3DA2=3DCB=3DCD=3DCA=3DB1=3DBC=3DE4: =
2007=3DC4=3DEA8=3DD4=3DC229=3DC8=3DD5 12:00

<xuzhengrong@xxxxxxxxxx>
> writes:
>  =20
>>
>>    =20
> =
SGkgYWxsLA0KSSBhbSBuZXcgaW4gdXNpbmcgRU0gdG9vbHMgdG8gYW5hbHl6ZSB0aGUgcGxhb=
=3D

> mUg
>  =20
> =
cGFpcnMnIHJlc29uYW5jZS4NCkFmdGVyIGlucHV0aW5nIHRoZSBudW1iZXIgb2YgbW9kZXMgY=
=3D

> W5k
>  =20
> =
IGNvbXB1dGluZywgdGhlIHJlc3VsdHMgaGF2ZSBzZXZlcmFsDQp2YWx1ZXMgaW5jbHVkaW5nI=
=3D

> GZy
>  =20
> =
ZXFlbmN5IGFuZCBRLiBFdmVyeSBtb2RlIGhhcyBhIGNlcnRhaW4gZnJlcXVlbmN5IGFuZCBRD=
=3D

> Qpp
>  =20
> =
bmNyZWFzZXMgd2l0aCB0aGUgbnVtYmVyIG9mIG1vZGVzLiANCiANCldoaWNoIG1vZGUgc2hvd=
=3D

> Wxk
>  =20
> =
IGkgcGF5IG1vc3QgYXR0ZW50aW9uIHRvPw0KV2h5IGRvZXMgUSB2YWx1ZSBpbmNyZWFzZSB3a=
=3D

> XRo
>  =20
> =
IHRoZSBudW1iZXIgb2YgbW9kZXMgYW5kIGZyZXF1ZW5jeT8NCkhvdyB0byBhbmFseXN6ZSB3a=
=3D

> XRo
>  =20
> =
IHRoZXNlIGRhdGEgYW5kIHdoaWNoIGluZm9ybWF0aW9uIGNhbiBpIG9idGFpbiBmcm9tIGl0P=
=3D

> w0K
>  =20
> =
IA0KQXBwcmVjaWF0ZSBhbnkgaWRlYSBhYm91dCB0aGF0Lg0KIA0KQmVzdCBSZWdhcmRzDQpaa=
=3D

> GVu
>  =20
> =
Z3JvbmcgWHUNCiANCg0Ku6rOqry8yvXT0M/euavLviBodWF3ZWlfbG9nbyANCg0KDQq12Na3o=
=3D

> 7rJ
>  =20
> =
7tvaytDB+rjax/jb4Mzvu6rOqrv5tdgg08qx4KO6NTE4MTI5DQpodHRwOi8vd3d3Lmh1YXdl
> 7tvaytDB+a
> S5j
>  =20
> =
b20NCi0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tL=
=3D

> S0t
>  =20
> =
LS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0NCi0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tL=
=3D

> S0t
>  =20
> =
LS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLQ0Ksb7Tyrz+vLDG5Li9vP66rNPQu6rOqrmry761
> LS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLQ0Ksb7Tyrz+x
> LGj
>  =20
> =
w9zQxc+io6y99s/e09q3osvNuPjJz8PmtdjWt9bQwdCz9rXEuPbIy7vyyLoNCtfpoaO9+w0K
> w9zQxc+1
> rnI
>  =20
> =
zrrOxuTL+8jL0tTIzrrO0M7Kvcq508OjqLD8wKi1q7K7z97T2sirsr+78rK/t9a12NC5wrah
> zrrOxuTL+8jL0tTIzrrO0M7Kvcq508OjqLD8wKi1q7K7z97T2sirsr+o
> ri0
>  =20
> =
1sahorvyyaK3oqOpsb7Tyg0KvP7W0A0KtcTQxc+ioaPI57n7xPq07crVwcuxvtPKvP6jrMfr
> 1sahorvyyaK3oqOpsb7Tyg0KvP7W0A0KtcTQxc+x
> PrB
>  =20
> =
ory0tee7sLvy08q8/s2o1qq3orz+yMuyosm+s/2xvtPKvP6joQ0KVGhpcyBlLW1haWwgYW5kI=
=3D

> Gl0
>  =20
> =
cyBhdHRhY2htZW50cyBjb250YWluIGNvbmZpZGVudGlhbCBpbmZvcm1hdGlvbiBmcm9tDQpIV=
=3D

> UFX
>  =20
> =
RUksIHdoaWNoIA0KaXMgaW50ZW5kZWQgb25seSBmb3IgdGhlIHBlcnNvbiBvciBlbnRpdHkgd=
=3D

> 2hv
>  =20
> =
c2UgYWRkcmVzcyBpcyBsaXN0ZWQgYWJvdmUuIEFueQ0KdXNlIG9mIHRoZSANCmluZm9ybWF0a=
=3D

> W9u
>  =20
> =
IGNvbnRhaW5lZCBoZXJlaW4gaW4gYW55IHdheSAoaW5jbHVkaW5nLCBidXQgbm90IGxpbWl0Z=
=3D

> WQg
>  =20
> =
dG8sDQp0b3RhbCBvciBwYXJ0aWFsIA0KZGlzY2xvc3VyZSwgcmVwcm9kdWN0aW9uLCBvciBka=
=3D

> XNz
>  =20
>> W4gdGhlDQppbnRlbmRlZCANCnJlY2lwaWVu
>>
>>    =20
> =
dChzKSBpcyBwcm9oaWJpdGVkLiBJZiB5b3UgcmVjZWl2ZSB0aGlzIGUtbWFpbCBpbiBlcnJvc=
=3D

> iwg
>  =20
> =
cGxlYXNlDQpub3RpZnkgdGhlIHNlbmRlciBieSANCnBob25lIG9yIGVtYWlsIGltbWVkaWF0Z=
=3D

> Wx5
>  =20
>> IGFuZCBkZWxldGUgaXQhDQoNCiANCg=3D3D=3D3D
>> =3D20
>> =3D20
>> =3D20
>> -- Binary/unsupported file stripped by Ecartis --
>> -- Type: image/jpeg
>> -- File: outlook_huawei_logo_cn.jpg
>> =3D20
>> =3D20
>> =3D20
>> //www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
>> =3D20
>> For help:
>> =3D20
>> =3D20
>> List technical documents are available at:
>>                 http://www.si-list.net
>> =3D20
>> List archives are viewable at:    =3D20
>>                 //www.freelists.org/archives/si-list
>> or at our remote archives:
>>                  http://www.qsl.net/wb6tpu
>>  =3D20
>> =3D20
>> =3D20
>> =3D20
>>    =20

> List technical documents are available at:
>                 http://www.si-list.net
>
> List archives are viewable at:    =20
>  =20
>

>  =20

--=20
Steve Weir
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC=20
121 North River Drive=20
Narragansett, RI 02882=20

California office
(408) 884-3985 Business
(707) 780-1951 Fax

Main office
(401) 284-1827 Business=20
(401) 284-1840 Fax=20

Oregon office
(503) 430-1065 Business
(503) 430-1285 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com
This e-mail contains proprietary and confidential intellectual property =
of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net