[SI-LIST] Reflection due to far end capacitor

  • From: shekhar sharma <sinnovate88@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 09:05:36 +0100 (BST)

Hello all,
                 I am simulating a driver with 50-ohm transmission line. Far
end of the transmission line is terminated by 50-ohm resistor. In normal
simulation there is no reflections are seen. When I add a capacitor at the far
end, it shows a glitch at near end after 2*td. It seems that transmission line
is considering capacitor as short for signal transition. But I think this is
not the real effect of capacitor on the transmission line. If load capacitor at
far end is Cl, it will change the caracteristic impedance of the transmission
line and it will become Zo=sqrt(l/(c+Cl/L)). Where L is the length of the
transmission line and l and c are the per unit parameters.
  Does my conclusion is correct?
  Please shed some light on it.

  Thanks in Advance,

  Shekhar