[SI-LIST] Re: Question on ICM_MLM IBIS modeling

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: xwu_umd@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 13:53:27 -0400

Xin

My apologies.  In my lack of coffee haze I saw ICM and read ICX.

ICM matrices are defined in the same way the Maxwell Matrices are
defined.  A MOM, BEM of FEM field solver will extract the necessary
partial inductance matrices. This can be done without any particular
piece of metal being called "ground".  In this case, the infinite
boundary of the universe becomes the reference.  For 2D structures you
can use any of the myriad number of 2D solvers to produce these
matrices.  For a package, you will need to use a 3D solver such as those
made by Ansoft  and Optimial.

Please note that inductance matrices as extracted in this manner are not
unique.  It is the self and mutual loop inductances that are unique as
is described by Brian Young in his book "Digital Signal Integrity,
Modeling and Simulation."  His is one of the best books on the subject.
The other book that covers this topic is Clayton Paul's book "Analysis
of Multi Conductor Transmission Lines"  Both of these books talk about
the theoritical and practical application of partial inductance matrices.

regards,

scott

Xin Wu wrote:

>Hi there,
>I have a question about ICM_MLM model when correlate
>the model with field solver.
>Reading the ICM-1.0, for models of type MLM, sparse
>inductance matrix, based on partial inductance
>concept, and sparse capacitance matrix will be
>generated for circuit simulation.
>My question is: the partial inductance concept is
>based on unknown current loop, while using EM field
>solver, a source has to be defined between the I/O and
>GND. In this case, how could we correlate the EM
>solution with the MLM model?
>One step further, if I want to simulate a GND net or a
>VCC net in a multi-layer chip package, which has
>several pins connected solid planes, how can I run a
>simulation if I want to retrieve the partial
>inductance of the GND net or the VCC net separately?
>Thanks for any thoughtful inputs.
>-Xin
>

>=====
>Xin Wu, Ph.D
>Research Staff Engineer
>Etenna Corp.
>Laurel, MD 20783
>Phone: (240) 4564145 Fax: (240) 4560655
>http://www.wam.umd.edu/~xwu

>//www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
>
>For help:
>
>List FAQ wiki page is located at:
>                http://si-list.org/wiki/wiki.pl?Si-List_FAQ
>
>List technical documents are available at:
>                http://www.si-list.org
>
>List archives are viewable at:
>               //www.freelists.org/archives/si-list
>or at our remote archives:

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax
(503) 750-6481 Cellular
http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed is the registered service mark of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org