[SI-LIST] Re: Proximity effect and the HSPICE w-element field solver

  • From: Ray Anderson <Raymond.Anderson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 09:44:50 -0700 (PDT)

Perhaps others, who are more familiar with this than I, can
comment also, however, here are my thoughts on the subject:

1)      I would think that the internal field solver would
        take into account current crowding in conductors caused
        by the proximity of other conductors. The output of
        the field solver will be a set of RLGC matrices that
        will be fed to the W element model.

2)      The 'gotcha' is that the W element model scales the
        skin effect loss by the sqrt(f). I think this is valid
        if we can assume equal current flow on all sides of a
        conductor. However, when the proximity effect take over
        and current is not equally distributed around the periphery
        of the conductor I have a feeling that the sqrt(f) dependence
        of the skin effect changes to some other function.  If so,
        the skin effect losses modeled by the W element will lose
        accuracy.

Can anyone else comment on this? As I mentioned, I'm not an
expert on this and would welcome any informed input/correction on
the matter.

-Ray Anderson

Sun Microsystems Inc.

>I have searched the SI-LIST archives and actually came across a thread
>on the HSPICE w-element field solver from June of this year.
>Unfortunately the responses in the thread did not address the original
>question.  (They did, however give lots of useful information on
>dielectric loss of FR-4)
>
>At any rate I am beginning a system design which will use 2.5 Gbit/sec
>differential signalling with Infiniband type of signal
>characteristics.  My question is whether the HSPICE internal field
>solver (which I have not yet used) includes the effects of proximity
>of differential lines when it calculates the line losses.  I assume
>that when two PWB traces are "tightly coupled" as has been discussed
>in this forum, the currents in the traces at high frequencies crowd
>towards the surface due to skin effect AND crowd towards the near
>edges of the traces due to proximity effect.  Does anyone know of any
>good resources that specifically discuss the proximity effect at GHz
>frequencies?  I would think that for signal edge rates on the order of
>50 ps this could have a profound effect on losses.
>
>Several years ago I used a tool called SIMIAN out of U Texas which I
>believed included proximity effect.  If the HSPICE field solver does
>not include these effects does anyone know of another tool which does?
>
>Chris

List archives are viewable at: