[SI-LIST] Re: Power plane / VCC plane as reference for differencial microstrips

  • From: "Niki Steenkamp" <niki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 14:46:07 +0200

Hi,

Thanks Steve, Chris and list members for the detailed answers.  Chris,
unfortuantely I am the "layout dude" as well!  ;-)  I have basically =
gotton
rid of the split in the reference plane, but I have to use the VCC plane =
as a
return plane for some of the LVDS signals - I cannot use ground on both =
sides
of the board.  I have tried use ground for the higher speed links, =
though.
As far as I understand there should be no real issue with using VCC as a
reference plane?  I have placed a number of decoupling caps around the =
LVDS
IC's to provide a low impedance path between VCC and ground.

I have another question (of a more theoretical nature):  If you look at =
differential signal, then the ground connection is only really needed to
carry the even mode currents since odd mode currents cancel out.  So if =
you
ignore the even mode currents (lets say we have perfectly balanced =
drivers),
then you do not need a reference plane for return current.  With a =
microstrip
on a PCB, the reference plane is however rerquired to get the impedance =
right
- the net current in the reference plane is however 0.  Is this sort of
right?  Would you still be able to get a 100ohm differential impedance =
if you
did not have a reference plane (say with a single layer PCB)?  I would =
guess
that it is possible, but you would have to place the traces extremely =
close
together to get enough coupling. =20

Thanks!
Niki