[SI-LIST] Re: PCI Express reference clock, is it needed?

  • From: "N. Paul Taddonio" <paul.taddonio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Pehr Andersson" <andersson.pehr@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 08:52:05 -0500

Pehr

It all depends on your SERDES and the qualities of the serial link signal.
For example, many SERDES  require a reference clock from the transmitter to
receive links modulated with spread spectrum clocking (SSC).
That is because the clock frequency is varying with time and is hard for the
receiver to track.
PCI Express does include spread spectrum operation.
If there is no SSC then a local oscillator may be substituted for the
external reference clock connection, providing
that both oscillators are accurate enough in frequency for your SERDES to
tolerate (they must be within a certain PPM difference in
frequency).

The newest technology SERDES, within the last couple of years, can receive
spread spectrum modulated serial signals without
a reference clock connection.    This is implemented in the DisplayPort
serial link standard.

-Paul Taddonio