[SI-LIST] Re: PCB Warpage during Assembly

  • From: "Lee Ritchey" <leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "RakeshBit" <rakesh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 09:01:58 -0700

Rakesh,

Most laminate manufacturers publish the coefficients of thermal expansion
for their materials.  It is my experience that when you check with a
laminate supplier, the less information of this type they publish the more
likely it will be that their materials are not all that uniform in this
respect.

As to how to find out if your fabricator is using preshrunk materials, see
if you can find out how much time and effort they put into characterizing
the shrinkage of materials befor they use them.  Good fabricators know the
scale factors of the materials they use and precompensate the film used to
image layers to allow for this.

It is also my experience that fabricators that cater to the ultra low cost
PCB market do not do much of this as it costs money to do it.  If your
purchasing department is selecting suppliers on the bases of price alone,
odds are you are doing business with such fabricators and you are paying
the price for it in manufacturing.

Often, there is the assumption that all PCB fabricators are equally capable
and the only differentiator is price. There is probably no other industry
where this is a more dangerous assumption.  I spend quite a bit of time
fixing problems for clients that result from doing business with the wrong
fabricator.  This not to say that any of these fabricators is bad, but
rather that there is a broad range of types of fabricators, each good
within its range of capabilities.  The trick is to match fabricator with
your requirements.  This means that engineers need to understand how PCBs
are built in order to do this.

Why
> > so thick?  That is way too much copper for any logic board we are likely
> > design.  (I use 1/2 ounce copper layers for both planes and signal
layers
> > for a 3 terabit routers all consuming on the order of 7 KW and power
> > distribution worked just fine with reasonable IR drop in the pwoer
> > layers.)
> >
> > If, in fact, you have such thick copper, I'd start by reducing the
> > thickness in all layers to 1/2 ounce.   That will help both warpage and
> > cost.
> >
> > Copper balance or fill is not necessarily going to stop the warping.  I
> > build stackups with this kind of imbalance all the time without warping.
> >
> > In my experience, warping is caused by materials (laminate weave) that
> > shrinks excessively when is is strain relieved due to the heat of
> > soldering.  This is traceable to the initial materials used by your
> > fabricator.  Some laminate is preshrunk, just like the cloth in a pair
of
> > levis, and some is not.  The really good fabricators know this and only
> > use
> > preshrunk materials.  The low bidders, as a rule, do not.  My guess is
> > your
> > PCBs are being built by the low bidder.
> >
> > I'd reduce the copper thickness and find a more capable fabricator.

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org

List archives are viewable at: