[SI-LIST] Re: PCB Radiated Emissions paper available for download

Charles,
   There is another article by Bill Ritenour that summarizes the Dockey paper
and provides more detail about the CM phenomena in PWB's, along with several
possible 'fixes'.

 http://www.devicelink.com/mem/archive/98/10/007.html

   -Dave Barr

Charles Grasso wrote:

> To all interested parties:
>
> In recent threads a paper by R. Dockey was recommended as
> light reading. Unfortunately due to copyright reasons
> this paper cannot be made freely available. However,
> the basis of that paper - Asymmetrical Mode Radiation from
> MultiLayer Printed Circuit Boards - has no such restrictions
> and it can be downloaded from the RMCEMC website
>  http://www.ieee.org/rmcemc .
>
> This paper demonstrates that a simple trace over a ground plane
> can produce emissions that fail the FCC Class B specifications.
> This paper was originally offered as a way to measure emissions.
> The purpose of this was to answer the question:
>
> "I welcome measurements from others that supports the statement that traces
> over planes are significant sources of EMI.  So far, no one has presented
> such evidence.  Lacking such evidence, how can anyone make such claims?"
>
> and to offer a measurement methodology.This paper shows
> that changes in the dimensions of the structure
> can and will affect the emissions profile.
>
> Enjoy...
>
> Charles Grasso
> RMCEMC - Chair.

> List archives are viewable at: