[SI-LIST] Re: Oscilloscope probe modeling

  • From: V S <for_si2003@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amir.pinhasovich@xxxxxxxxxxxx, si-list <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 14:56:49 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Amir,

I have worked with the correlation stuff earlier. I
used HSpice to model the Probe. For example the probe
model for P6245 is in

http://www.tek.com/Measurement/accessories/graphics/P6245_probe_model.jpg

I just created HSpice according to the above model. I
assume that Tek gave model that is close to actual
model.

In my experience the measuring point error has a far
greater effect than the Probe model on the
correlation. We do not always measure the signa at the
die and that creates significant difference in the
Signal as seen on the die Vs. Signal as seen on the
test point.

My experience is that such excercise usually does not
give any fruitful result. Here is why - if the
frequency of interest of your measurement is
substantially less than the Probe bandwidth, the
signal will go almost undistorted. If the frequency of
interest of your measurement comparable Probe
bandwidth, the signal will be distorted to the extent
that it is useless to use that Scope /Probe.

Probably Tek can give a better answer.

Thanks

V S

--- Amir Pinhasovich <amir.pinhasovich@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Hi SI members,
>
> I would like to know how to model a Tektronics
> oscilloscope  active
> probe(P6243 type) inorder to perform SI correlation.
> Should I construct it with passive elements in
> SigXp?

> the Subject field
>
> or to administer your membership from a web page, go
> to:

> si-list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'help' in the
> Subject field
>
> List FAQ wiki page is located at:
>
> http://si-list.org/wiki/wiki.pl?Si-List_FAQ
>
> List technical documents are available at:
>                 http://www.si-list.org
>
> List archives are viewable at:
> Old (prior to June 6, 2001) list archives are
> viewable at:

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org