[SI-LIST] Re: Off Topic Question

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: breams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 13:15:30 -0800

Bill,

For the companies that I have consulted for, where we have implemented a
complete signal integrity flow into their design environment, the answer is:

2 board fabs on the average.
    Fab 1 prototype, generally runs and meets all performance requirements
    Fab 2 production, fixes all logic and manufacturing problems.

If a third fab is required, it is usually due to marketing feature creep.

I have not had any emi issues in the last 8 years, due to complete
consideration of good signal and power integrity and careful
consideration of all return paths and resonances on the boards and
through connectors.

best regards,

scott

--
Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

Bill Reams wrote:

>Ladies and Gentlemen,
>
>I have a question that is off topic for this list. However, as we all =
>work at companies ranging from medium tech to very high tech, this =
>seemed a good source for a non-scientific poll.
>
>For your "typical" projects, how many circuit board revisions does it =
>take to go from the block diagram stage to full production release?
>
>I know that in the perfect world, everyone would answer "One board, my =
>first prototype is always perfect." But we've probably all seen the =
>project where we're sent off to design a left-handed widget and =
>eventually deliver the flux capacitor that they really wanted - but only =
>after a large number of revisions and redesigns because they couldn't =
>figure out how to ask for what they wanted. What I'm interested in is =
>not the extreme revision numbers, but the typical number of revisions =
>for typical projects. And please do include all revisions for DFM, DFT, =
>EMC/EMI related modifications.
>
>Thanks for your responses.
>Bill
>
>_______________________________________
>|                                      |
>| Bill Reams  - Sr. Hardware Engineer  |
>| 512-928-7201 (direct)                |
>| 512-349-0300 (Main)                  |
>| breams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (e-mail)       |

>//www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
>
>For help:
>
>List archives are viewable at: