[SI-LIST] Re: New numerical method for EM problems.

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: walter steffe <steffe@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 02:57:42 -0700

Walter, I see a couple of challenges:

1. Proof that the method works as intended over a useful range of problems.
Do those problems cover all the types of problems that existing tool /
tools handle?
What problems can it handle that existing tools can't or can't handle
well.  Why?  Other than adopting your method, what might an existing
vendor do to cover the gap?

2. Determination if and where the method has exceptional cases.
Are there situations where the method breaks down or generates results
that are less accurate than existing products?

3. Ultimate computational efficiency of the method for common problems.
Can the method solve problems handled by existing tools on similar
computer platforms and in similar or better run times?

4. Ultimate accuracy of the method for common problems.
Are the results similar, better, or worse than those generated by
existing tools.

5. A business plan that shows that if the method does everything that
you believe it does that investors would see a profit from it.
Better mousetraps can be a hard sell.  Is there an application area
where the method is or will in the near future become a "must have"?

It can take years to get through the first four steps, and then many man
hours to code the results into a tool and test it rigorously.  It can be
very difficult to convince an established player that the risk and
investment is worthwhile.  In order to do that, you will need to be able
to show that your method has commercial value either by: providing
greater accuracy, faster results, supporting problems they cannot, or
some combination of all three that provide compelling value versus the
costs required to develop and deploy it.

There are several ways that you might start:

1. Write one or more academic papers that compare the method to others
and show what it can do / can do better than other methods.
2. Get support from a university as a cosponsor to the property to
develop it to the point that it is at least minimally commercially
viable.  Universities are cheap sources of labor and many also have good
relationships with industry.
3. If you can show that the method addresses a critical high dollar
problem today, or one that will become apparent within a short time
frame, you may be able to attract investment capital.

Off hand I think that the commercial targets for you would be 2.5D players.

Steve.
walter steffe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In a personal project I am pursuing at home since a long time
> I have developed a new numerical method for the solution of
> electromagnetic problems.
>
> I think that the new approach can present some important advantages in
> several SI and microwave applications and I am looking for an EDA
> company who can support the further software development and its
> commercialization.
>
> The new method differs from all other methods used today (like
> FEM,FDTD...). Indeed, instaed of doing a simulation, it generates an
> equivalent circuit which can be used for any kind of simulation (both in
> time and frequency domain). Actually this strategy has some similarity
> with what is done in the PEEC method but my method is exact (it solves
> the complete set of Maxwell eq.) while PEEC is only approximate.
>
> The generated circuit is described in the Spice format and is composed
> of simple elements which do not depend on frequency. It is valid over a
> very large band from zero frequency up to a maximum frequency that
> depends on the mesh size. It preserves the passivity and causality in a
> natural way.
>
> The method can deal with a general 3D structure that is composed of
> different materials. The material properties (complex epsilon and mu)
> are described as a superposition of Debye, Drude and Lorentz models.
>
> The computational domain is split in several subdomains which are
> characterized by different subcircuits. The subcircuits are then
> assembled to form a global circuit which is reduced using a MOR
> technique. In such a way it is translated into a very compact model that
> can be analyzed in a fast way using any circuit simulator.
>

> Best regards
>
> Walter Steffè
> via del Casale di S.Basilio 51
> 00156 Roma
> Italy

> List technical documents are available at:
>                 http://www.si-list.net
>
> List archives are viewable at:

Steve Weir
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882

California office
(866) 675-4630 Business
(707) 780-1951 Fax

Main office
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

Oregon office
(503) 430-1065 Business
(503) 430-1285 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com
This e-mail contains proprietary and confidential intellectual property of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: