[SI-LIST] Minimum eye opening of 8b10b encoded signals

  • From: <Michael.Kurten@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 08:19:22 +0100

Hello all,

I have a question with regard to the minimum eye opening. I'm examining
an SATA link which has 8b10b encoding. The measured eye opening does not
exhibit a lot of jitter. Therefore the double trapezoid, describing the
minimum eye opening, can be shifted along the time axis. The eye height
instead violates massively the minimum eye opening if the minimum eye is
centered or placed at the left corner of the measured eye. Shifting the
minimum eye opening to the right corner results in an only slightly
violated minimum eye opening.=20
To date my understanding is that if the minimum eye opening can be
placed anywhere along the time axis and not violating the eye opening
the link will work fine. Otherwise the minimum eye opening would not be
the minimum eye opening. But now I am looking for a more hardware
oriented explanation of this matter.
Any help is highly appreciated.

Kind regards
Michael Kurten