[SI-LIST] Mentor vs Cadence

  • From: "David Kaiser" <david.kaiser@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 15:58:04 -0600

This discussion about design tools comes at a good time for us.
My question specifically concerns comparing Mentor and Cadenc head to head.

We use Cadence in California, and Mentor in Colorado. (Result of a buyout).
We are investigating the possiblity of switching from Mentor to Cadence.=
 (Very expensive and time consuming change). This would get both locations=
 on the same tool platform, but that, in-and-of itself, is not enough of a=
 justification to spend so much money and time. We're looking for clear=
 advantages.

Rather than listing all the different features of each tool, I was just=
 wondering if anyone is familiar enough with both tools to point what they=
 think might be "SIGNIFICANT" advantages of one tool over the other, or if=
 they are convinced the there are no advantages that would justify such a=
 major change in tools.

For Mentor Layout we use Boardstation with AARE 2004.1
For SI we use ICX

Our boards are extremely complex with lots of multi-Gbs channels
Primary concerns include "constraints managment" and "concurrent deisgn".

Thanks in advance for your input.

David Kaiser
Staff Electrical Engineer
McDATA Corp.
(720) 558-4431
david.kaiser@xxxxxxxxxx

SPECIAL NOTICE=0D

All information transmitted hereby is intended only for the use of the=0D
addressee(s) named  above and may contain confidential and privileged=0D
information. Any unauthorized  review, use, disclosure or distribution
of confidential and privileged information is prohibited. If the reader of
this message is not the intended recipient(s) or the employee or agent=0D
responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that you must not read this transmission and that
disclosure, copying, printing, distribution or use of any of the
information contained in or attached to this transmission is STRICTLY=0D
PROHIBITED.

Anyone who receives confidential and privileged information in error should=
=0D
notify us immediately by telephone and mail the original message to us at=
 the
above address and destroy all copies.  To the extent any portion of this
communication contains public information, no such restrictions=0D
apply to that information. (gate01)

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org