[SI-LIST] Measuring 1.25Gbps differential signals - Triggering Problem

  • From: salvador JR <sa_jr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 15:25:48 -0700 (PDT)

Hello All!

Is it wise to use a clock recovery module to obtain a
'trigger clock' to probe 1.25Gbps Gigabit Ethernet
data lines (differential) using a 20GHz sampling
module?

We purchased an Agilent 86100A DCA main frame with two
plug-ins: A 20 GHz sampling module (electrical) and a
clock recovery module.  According to Agilent, using a
single-ended, 6GHz passive probe I should be able to
probe one of the differential lines and the clock
recovery module will recover the clock and will used
it to trigger.

The problem is that the eye-pattern, right at the
output of the differential driver, looks very noisy
and jittery (ugghh! is that a word!?).  I am
struggling with supplying it a clean clock source to
the front panel trigger input.  So... I was just
wondering if
using a clock recovery module actually yields
meaningful results?

-- Jittery yours,
-- Sal