[SI-LIST] Max operating frequency of LVDS driver

  • From: sunil-chandra.kasanyal@xxxxxx
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 19:33:11 +0530

Hello all,

My question is regarding to TIA/EIA-644-A standard on LVDS.In this
standard it is specified that the maximum transistion time for the output
signal is 0.3tui. Where tui is the unit interval of output waveform. If I
know the 20% to 80% rise time of the output wave of LVDS driver I can
calculate its maximum frequency of operation (f=0.3/2*tr), by applying
the condition tr=0.3tui.Is this approach for calculating maximum
operating frequency is justified?
If yes, my second question follows:
 Rise time tr specified here is the 20% to 80% of Vss, where Vss=2*Vt. Vt
is the output differential swing. This Vt may be anything from 250mV to
450mV. Suppose in my case this Vt comes 300mV, then Vss will be
2*300=600mV. But the minimum Vss for LVDS driver is 2*250=500mV.  Now for
calculating maximum operating frequency, should I take tr equal to 20% to
80% of the total Vss swing of 600mV or should I consider only 500mV swing
of Vss, means tr equal to 20% to 80% of the 500mV portion of Vss.
     If I say that I should take only 500mV portion into consideration,
because I am going to calculate maximum operating frequency, am I wrong?
Why?

Thanks in advance,

Thanks and Regards,
Sunil C Kasanyal