[SI-LIST] Re: Jitter measurement floor on different high bandwidth oscilloscopes

  • From: "Alfred P. Neves" <al@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wolfgang.maichen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Heyfitch'" <heyfitch@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 11:06:22 -0700

An interesting case of RJ data dependency is the following:

Histogram and estimate PDF of a simple RJ dominated process with only clock
like pattern (DJ=0), 10101010.... you should have a simple Gaussian PDF
described by mean, 1-sigma if you measure statistically significant sample
of single period jitter.

Now, create a simple data pattern with RJ dominated jitter, say 2^7-1 and
run this pattern through a channel with significant loss where the pattern
has significant power spectra density ( below 1/2 data rate, or nyquist).
Now, each UI transition has a specific RJ pdf associated with it, and in
every practical case the 1-sigma of each pdf varies from UI boundary to UI
boundary suggesting RJ pattern dependency.  The estimated 1-sigma not only
varies with UI but, on the average, has increased from the simple clock.

When the UI's (unit intervals) were 400psec I believe it was usually safe to
assume statistical independence, but moving on to UI's of 40psec I believe
this isn't true, especially considering the ratios of RJ to TJ for
10E-12BER.

Alfred P. Neves      <*)))))><{

Hillsboro Office:
735 SE 16th Ave.
Hillsboro, OR, 97123
(503) 718 7172   Business
(503) 679 2429   Mobile

Main Corporate office:
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax
http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed is the registered service mark
of Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC