[SI-LIST] Re: Is a copper plane not tied to any net a reference plane?

  • From: "Lynne Green" <lgreen22@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'eric steimle'" <ericsilist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 15:28:12 -0700

Eric-

Physically, "return current" flows in any and all adjacent metal as
capacitive/displacement current, and coupled inductance current.
Only the DC return current is restricted to flow in a power or ground
plane (and even that has some caveats).

Copper pour that is not tied to anything can also make an excellent
source of crosstalk noise.  (I often think of it as a very_wide
ungrounded guard trace.)

- Lynne

Dr. Lynne Green
Green Streak Programs