[SI-LIST] Re: Is a copper plane not tied to any net a reference plane?

  • From: Ege Engin <engin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 09:20:50 +0200

I think my original post didn't make it to the list. So here it is
again:

Eric,

I will assume a simpler case in that the medium is homogeneous (for
example all planes are embedded in FR4). The two planes and the signal
line can be considered as a 3-conductor transmission line. Consequently,
the two TEM modes of concern here are the stripline and parallel-plate
modes. For signal transmission, stimulation of the parallel-plate mode
is not desired, since it results in voltage fluctuations between the
planes.

Both modes are excited in this 3-conductor transmission structure
assuming that it is terminated in a way that the return current is
forced to flow on the GND at the driver and receiver. The parallel-plate
mode is excited with a mode current equal to I*H1/(H1+H2), where I is
the current on the signal line, H1=100mil, and H2=5mil. For wide planes,
the parallel-plate mode can be considered as a radial wave (Larry gives
a qualitative description of how this wave propagates). This current is
normally not compensated by the signal return current; therefore, there
is a current on both planes.

Ege

eric steimle schrieb:

> I?m trying to settle an argument without saying which
> side I?m on, and I was hoping someone could give a
> quick and easy example to prove this.
>
> You have a four layer board that looked like this
>
> SIG1
> GND
> VCC
> SIG2
>
> And the maximum rise time on the board was about 2ns
> (say a 100MHz clock), then if I ran a trace from one
> IC to another on SIG1 the return current would flow
> along the GND plane (assuming no splits in the plane
> etc.)
>
> What if I covered SIG1 with a plane  of copper say
> hovering 5 mil above SIG1, and then made the distance
> between SIG1 and GND 100mil so..
>
> Plane sheet of Copper
> 5 mil of air
> SIG1
> 100 mil FR4
> GND
> VCC
> SIG2
>
> Now that plane sheet is not GND and it has no
> association to any net it is just a continuous sheet
> of copper about the size of the board.  One of us
> argues that the return current will continue to flow
> along the GND plane as it did before.  The other
> argues that the return current will instead flow
> mostly along that sheet of copper unitl it jumps back
> to the GND plane as it gets closer to the IC.  Any
> help in this would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks

> List FAQ wiki page is located at:
>
> List technical documents are available at: