[SI-LIST] Re: Info on Spice package

  • From: sdb@xxxxxxxxxx (Stuart Brorson)
  • To: kbbuchanan@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 17:09:01 -0500 (EST)

Hi Kevin ,

>    I'm a student at U-Mass. I'm looking for a spice package that has a
> reasonable cost. I have found one called 'B2 Spice A/D' by a company
> called Beige Bag Software for about $350. The price seems to good to be t=
> =3D
> rue.

Naw -- there are lots of "student grade" SPICE simulators out there
which are quite cheap.  Remember that most of these simulators are
just Berkeley SPICE code with some bugfixes & a GUI on top, sold by
some company or another.

>    I'm looking at using this package to learn more about simulation
> with spice and would be applying it to do transmission line modeling.
> Can anyone provide any info about this package.
>
>    Also, can anyone recommend a package that would satisfy the low cost
> requirement. I would also be using it to model parasitics of inductors
> and caps as well.
>
> Thanks,
> Kevin

Free SPICE programs are a topic close to my heart.   Free counts as
low-cost, doesn't it?

If you are using Windows, a totally awesome SPICE package is LTSpice,
from Linear Tech.  They give their version of SPICE away for free as a
loss-leader to sell their switching power supply chips.  But don't
think that it's bad because it's free -- it is very stable, and has
lots of great analyses built into it.  It has a built-in graphical
front-end, so all you have to do it draw your circuits, and then
simulate them.  It's probably better than
anything you can buy for <10K.  You can get it at:

http://www.linear.com/software/

(It's also called SwCADIII.)

If you are into Linux, the combination of gEDA and tclspice is a good
one for doing SPICE work.  gEDA is a GPL'ed electronic design
environment.  Info is here:

http://www.geda.seul.org/

Tclspice is a (more or less) working port of traditional SPICE3f5 to
the Linux platform.  Its project page is here:

http://tclspice.sourceforge.net/

Finally, if you do want to try doing SPICE work on Linux, I have put
together a HOWTO doc which you can get here:

http://www.brorson.com/gEDA/SPICE/

Have fun!

Stuart

List technical documents are available at: