[SI-LIST] Re: IC Receiver Design for Low Jitter

  • From: "D. C. Sessions" <dcs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 20:52:11 -0700

On Friday 13 July 2001 10:01, you wrote:
> Bonjour,
>
> I second your comment on the utility of performing a frequency domain
> analysis.
>
> Would you please elaborate your thoughts on that: what kind of analysis are
> you thinking about:
> - PSRR?
> - S-parameters? (we have to ask ourselves about the validity of this kind of
> analysis if we deal with Digital ICs or/and strong Non-linear devices).
> - ??= Any other analysis I didn't think about it yet.

Since it's essentially a due-diligence test, we're not terribly formal about it.
The primary requirement is that we inject noise at a reasonable number of
nodes (always including supplies) and confirm that the response is "well
behaved" -- no resonances, good attenuation, acceptable phase margin,
etc.  Right now we've only had one I/O that even came close to having a
problem, and it was actually well within acceptable limits.  As time goes on
things are going to be getting less and less comfortable, and we'll be
formalizing the process based on experience.

Sure beats trying to figure why a customer design went into the weeds
at a cost of several $million.

| I'm old enough that I don't have to pretend to be grown up.|
+----------- D. C. Sessions <dcs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> ----------+