[SI-LIST] Re: Hyperlynx modelling of 'wire over ground'

  • From: "Jennings, Kevin F" <Kevin.Jennings@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 15:00:09 -0600

Curt,

Yes your description of the circuit is accurate and yes there is an actual wire
added on the PCB which is why I picked the 'wire over ground' element to model
this (prior to actually putting the wire on the board).

The relatively accurate prediction of signal quality when dealing with PCB
traces but relatively poor prediction when adding another driver and a single
physical wire to the model was rather surprising.

My question here was mainly to see whether or not anyone else had tried to
model a rework wire (and/or multiple drivers) to a PCB and had HyperLynx
accurately predict (or not) the resulting waveform.

I haven't totally ruled out user error on my part, and still need to go back
and re-validate that my LineSim representation is an adequate representation of
the PCB (apparently if I had LineSim EXT I could export the net from BoardSim
and import it into LineSim...sigh).  From there maybe try to trace down what
differences between model and reality that could explain the discrepancy, and
if all that fails, open a case with the good folks at Mentor and see if they
can explain the difference.

I definitely agree about the series termination, that's how I design things but
when tasked with trying to salvage something one has to do what one has to do.

Thanks for your input (and to all the others who've responded here and
privately).

Kevin Jennings