[SI-LIST] Re: HyperLynx DRC

  • From: "Carrier, Patrick" <Patrick_Carrier@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "paul.taddonio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <paul.taddonio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "pcbjack@xxxxxxxxx" <pcbjack@xxxxxxxxx>, SI-LIST <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 20:00:39 +0000

Hi Jack-
First of all, I would strongly encourage you to speak with your local Mentor
Application Engineer on these issues.  Mentor has a very good group of AEs that
answer these kinds of questions all the time, and they can give you more
details and attention.

HyperLynx DRC is a new Mentor product currently in Beta that is about to
release.  HyperLynx DRC has a number of built-in design rule checks targeted at
pinpointing possible EMI issues, as well as Signal Integrity and Power
Integrity issues.

The design rule check you referenced below is the I/O Coupling DRC, which
checks for excessive coupling of high-speed traces to I/O nets.  Coupling
between these two types of nets creates a risk of high-frequency noise leaving
the system through the I/O net.  Most I/O signals (signals that go "outside the
box") are slower signals and do not pose as much of a radiation risk, but if
higher-frequency energy couples onto these nets they become a much larger
radiation risk.
A great example of the relevance of this rule is when testing a device in an
EMC chamber that passes until you plug the cables into it, and then it starts
failing.
In regards to the addition of trace segment lengths (D1 and D3), this is done
because every closely-coupled segment couples more high-frequency energy onto
the I/O net.  You are correct that it is probably best to run a crosstalk
simulation to find the exact coupling of all sections, and we encourage our
users to use simulation data to create these rules.  The beauty of HyperLynx
DRC is that it is highly customizable.  You can customize the built-in rules
using several built-in parameters, or you can write your own rules for anything
you can imagine.  Susceptibility is a good candidate for such a rule.

Our customers range from novices to very advanced users.  The novices, who may
not know exactly what to simulate, like HyperLynx DRC because it provides a
nice comprehensive list of checks for their board.  The more advanced users
like the ability to customize it to write any rule they want.  A common use is
to check for EMI issues - issues that cannot be practically simulated on a
system level but that still need to be addressed, like broken return paths.
As Paul pointed out, there are many manual checks that a user will perform on a
board during a design review, and these checks can be automated using HyperLynx
DRC.

In regards to pricing, I don't think you have the correct information.  We do
have many different packages for all our tools with different levels of pricing.
Please contact Mentor directly for the latest pricing information.

Thanks.
--Pat