[SI-LIST] Re: How much scope memory needed?

  • From: "Jon Keeble" <jkeeble@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <olaney@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 09:47:23 +1000

A good KPI for 'scopes is WPS (waveforms per second).
I kept my old analog scope for many years because it was better than many
digital scopes, even digital phosphor scopes (DPOs), at seeing what I DON'T
expect (which is what I really want to see) (especially with the lights off).

It can be quite difficult to get a value for WPS at any given displayed
horizontal time scale.

Obviously, in a stationary waveform, an anomoly that occurs once in 50,000
scans will on average be captured twice a second at 100,000 WPS.

BYW, Tektronix invented the term DPO, but don't seem to protected it in any way
because now everybody uses it (Agilent, LeCroy et al).

A large memory depth plays a role in extending the sampling rate at slower
'scan' rates, and so providing a larger ratio between the slowest and fastest
event viewable.

Regards

Jon Keeble.