[SI-LIST] How do you perform a frequency sweep of a differential coupled line model in Hspice ?

  • From: Jon Stahl <jstahl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 21:28:54 -0500

Hi All,

I would really appreciate a suggestion on the proper way to perform a
frequency sweep of a differential coupled line model I have using
Hspice.  I would like to determine the insertion loss vs. frequency for
the line when being driven by differential stimulus.

For a single line, it seems trivial to do the following:
Vinput input 0 ac=1
.print ac vdb(output, input)

However, I have had understanding how to peform the equivalent for
a coupled lines. For stimulus I have tried all of the following:

Vin_p in_p 0 ac=0.2
Vin_n 0 in_n ac=0.2

---

Vin_p in_p 0 ac=0.2
Vin_n in_n 0 ac=-0.2

---

Vin_p in_p 0 ac=0.2
Vin_n in_n 0 ac=0.2,180

---

.print ac decibels=PAR('20 * log(v(out_p, out_n)/v(in_p, in_n))')

However, when I do this I always get ZERO for the differential input
voltage v(in_p, in_n) (???), which of course messes up the result.

I have even tried the following:

Vstim in_p in_n 0 ac=1

Which just produces bizarre results.

Any insights into how to do this would be greatly appreciated ...

Thanks,
Jon Stahl
Avici Systems, Inc.

List technical documents are available at: