[SI-LIST] Re: Historical question: IBIS & Quad TLC?

  • From: "Muranyi, Arpad" <arpad.muranyi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 15:36:00 -0800

I think I would qualify to answer this question, since I was
there since the beginning...  This is what happened:

We at Intel were gearing up for proving through simulations
that the reflected wave switching idea would work for the PCI
bus.  However, we didn't have any HSPICE models that had the
right buffer strength (IV curves) for the purpose.  Since we
already had plenty of experience in making IV curve measurements
in the lab and in HSPICE simulations (for correlation work), my
supervisor came up with the idea that we should try to use the
HSPICE controlled sources somehow for modeling a buffer with
its IV curves.  That way we could make a model that is either
measurement based, or even totally fictitious.

At that time I was a Co-op student employee at Intel, and the
entire signal integrity world was totally new to me, I only
had a few months of HSPICE experience since I started to work.
The challenge of making a behavioral model got me very interested
and I succeeded fairly soon with a working behavioral model in
HSPICE.  When I was done, my supervisor told me something like:
You know that there is a tool out there that does this for about
twenty times as much more money?  (In those days we were using
the DOS version of HSPICE which cost about $ 2-3000.00, and TLC
was around $40,000.00, if I remember it correctly).  Of course
I was absolutely unaware of TLC in those days, this is how I
fist found out about it.

After the initial success story in our group our higher ups
decided that we should distribute our models in that format
even to our customers.  Then the question was, how many simulator
vendors would support such a thing.  After some leg work we
rounded up about ten EDA companies who were interested, which
formed the first IBIS Open Forum.  Quad Design was part of it
from day one on.  We together wrote the first IBIS specification
with everyone's input.

Arpad Muranyi
Intel Corporation