[SI-LIST] Re: High-Speed (coax) PCB Connector Transitions -- selection, PCB footprint, and performance

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Michael Rodrigues <michael.rodrigues@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 12:09:49 -0400

Micheal

As others have said, the connector and the footprint are extremely
important.  in my experience, in order to have 20 GHz of effective
measurement bandwidth, it is important to use connectors and transitions
that have significantly higher bandwidth.   I generally want my
connector and transition to have at least 10 GHz better bandwidth than
the required bandwidth of the structural measurements.  As a result, for
20 GHz measurements, my launches have 30-35 GHz bandwidth.  For 40 GHz
measurements, my launches have 50-65 GHz bandwidth.

We are able to use Molex surface contact SMA's for 20 GHz TRL
measurements, and are able to design the launch to have a first modal
cutoff of better than 30 GHz.  With the Southwest Microwave Edge Launch
connectors, we can extend our measurements will past this, but sacrifice
a significant amount of space.  As for mini-SMP, GPO, GPPO ... etc, it
is possible to design good launches for TRL de-embedding, but it is not
easy.  They must be model, measured, and remodeled and optimized, in
order to get the best performance.

regards,

Scott

Michael Rodrigues wrote:
> Hello all at SI-List,
>

> I am trying to implement a PCB connector transition board for the
> purpose of measuring a structure at up to 20 GHz. I would be interested
> in using the best performing coax-to-PCB launch I can find so that it
> will not contribute losses to the actual structure losses I am
> interested in measuring (i.e., it will be invisible to the measurement,
> or as much so as possible).
>

> Two questions I have would be:
>
> 1)       What would be the best connector type for this purpose (i.e.,
> interfacing to VNA and high-speed o-scopes for s-parameter, TDR, and TDT
> measurements)?
>
> 2)       How important is the PCB footprint for the connector; what
> would be the best way to make sure you are using the best footprint
> possible (assuming the case where PCB footprint for a PCB connector are
> not a no-brainer)?
>

> Some connectors I have been looking at would include:
>

> 2.4 mm (DC to 50 GHz):
>
> *     Rosenberger 09K243-40ME3
> *     Southwest 1493-03A-5
>

> Mini-SMP (DC to 65 GHz):
>
> *     Rosenberger 18 S 203- 40M L5
> *     Rosenberger 18 S 102- 40M L5
>

> Thank you in advance for any replies.
>

> Best regards,
>
> Michael
>

> This email and any attachments are intended for the sole use of the named
> recipient(s) and contain(s) confidential information that may be proprietary,
> privileged or copyrighted under applicable law. If you are not the intended
> recipient, do not read, copy, or forward this email message or any
> attachments. Delete this email message and any attachments immediately.

> List technical documents are available at:
>                 http://www.si-list.net
>
> List archives are viewable at:

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: