[SI-LIST] Re: High speed signal-return path

  • From: Ralph A Wilson III <wilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: olaney@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 06:38:51 -0500

Assuming
a) this is "Plane-Signal-Plane", and
b) both planes are contiguous over the course of the signal, and
c) the entry into and exit out of the signal layer is "managed"
        with respect to Z0 and/or "short" lengths.

then these are equivalent - it matters not what the plane is (within
reason).  I, however, don't trust assumptions "b" and "c".  Split
power planes are too common these days, and "c" can be non-trivial.
I tend to be a fan of ground plane references - it makes the job
easier for my simple mind.

Ralph Wilson
Alcatel-Lucent

List technical documents are available at: