[SI-LIST] Re: Gigabit Ethernet POE Magnetics

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Sabir <ssabir@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 03:31:35 -0800

B-B transformers is what you find with any ordinary link.  The only
caution is that you may wish to insert some intentional loss to damp
reflections from mismatches.  You do not mention whether you intend to
use CM magnetics or whether they are integrated with your transformers.
CM magnetics are optimally at the last line of defense to the outside world.

Steve.
Sabir wrote:
> I have a query regarding Gigabit ethernet  Transformers,  Can we connect two
> Ethernet magnetics back to back in ethernet passthrough connections?
>
> I am connecting gigE data signals from RJ45-1 to  a ethernet transformer T1
> and other side of the T1 to another ethernet transformer T2. I am taking POE
> power from centre taps of T1 and feeding POE power on center taps of T2 and
> data from T2 connecting to RJ45-2. Here I am using GigE magnetic for feeding
> and taking power on center taps from one port to another port.
>
> We provide terminations on the ethernet transformers if we are connecting
> transformer to PHY, in this case  any termination is required on the
> transformers T1 and T2. How  does the circuit behave, any EMI and EMC
> considerations required.
>
> Thanks
> Sabir

> List technical documents are available at: