[SI-LIST] Gigabit Ethernet POE Magnetics

  • From: Sabir <ssabir@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 15:31:36 +0530

I have a query regarding Gigabit ethernet  Transformers,  Can we connect two
Ethernet magnetics back to back in ethernet passthrough connections?

I am connecting gigE data signals from RJ45-1 to  a ethernet transformer T1
and other side of the T1 to another ethernet transformer T2. I am taking POE
power from centre taps of T1 and feeding POE power on center taps of T2 and
data from T2 connecting to RJ45-2. Here I am using GigE magnetic for feeding
and taking power on center taps from one port to another port.

We provide terminations on the ethernet transformers if we are connecting
transformer to PHY, in this case  any termination is required on the
transformers T1 and T2. How  does the circuit behave, any EMI and EMC
considerations required.

Thanks
Sabir

List technical documents are available at: