[SI-LIST] Re: Fwd: Re: Re: Crystal osciiator not oscillating

  • From: "Oscar Fallah" <oscarfallah@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: art_porter@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 11:40:06 -0700

Hello Shivdas,
Have you tried a "known good" crystal from a working board in the circuit
that is not working?

You could have a bad batch of parts, a counterfeit device, too old of a date
code, or one that might have been damaged in the soldering process.  Also,
if crystal oscillators are not kept in a controlled environment, they could
degrade.

Regards,
Oscar

On 5/24/07, art_porter@xxxxxxxxxxx <art_porter@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Probing crystal oscillators right across the crystal is a tough =
> challenge. Any high-resistance scope probe has too much capacitance. =
> Even a tiny amount of capacitance will kill the oscillator. And active =
> probes with lower capacitance have 100K or lower resistance, which =
> changes the bias, which also kills the oscillator.=20
>
> Art Porter
> Agilent Technologies

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net