[SI-LIST] Fwd: IBIS Model Quality (or lack thereof)

  • From: Dave Macemon <davem@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'SI-List'" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 10:07:32 -0800

All,

As a model supplier to a few semiconductor companies, here's SiQual's
answer Todd's question:
"What testing is performed after an IBIS model is created, to ensure that
the completed model behaves as expected as to how vendors validate their
models?"

After the IBIS model is extracted SiQual does the following:

- Validate syntax using multiple parsers, including
   - IBIS Golden Parser
   - Hyperlynx Parser
   - Simulators parsers (Mentor Graphics ICX and Cadence SpecctraQuest)

- Validate operation by Correlations
  - Simulate HSPICE deck (in HSPICE) into test bench that will generate
reflective waves
  - Simulate IBIS file (In ICX or SQ) into same test bench
  - Use IBIS Accuracy metrics scheme to compare curves
  - Visually inspect overlay of results curves

To follow up Gregory Heiler comments, when you call to beat up your Si
Vendors about IBIS models, you may also want to provide them a solution as
well. For example: "If I'm going to use your part, I need accurate IBIS
models, and if you need help creating them, you should give XXXXX a call,
they know what they're doing"

Of course, I'd like for you to put SiQual in for "XXXXX" in the above
statement, but feel free to reference other companies who produce validated
IBIS models.

regards

davem

>From: "Todd Westerhoff" <twester@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [SI-LIST] IBIS Model Quality (or lack thereof)
>Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 15:59:20 -0500
>Sender: si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

>Hi all,
>
>We have been doing a lot of comparisons between IBIS and HSpice models
>lately, with a lot of less-than-satisfactory results.
>
>I have an open question for the semiconductor suppliers among us:
>
>What testing is performed after an IBIS model is created, to ensure that the
>completed model behaves as expected?  I'm interested in responses from
>vendors that actually SIMULATE the IBIS model before distributing it for
>customer use.  It looks to me as though many of the models I've received
>were never used in a simulation before being released ...  and, as a
>potential customer, I find that quite disheartening.
>
>So the question is - what processes are being used to test IBIS models and
>ensure they function properly before their release to customers?
>
>As always, replies both on and off the list are greatly appreciated.
>
>Todd.
>
>Todd Westerhoff
>Signal Integrity Engineer
>Hammerhead Networks
>5 Federal Street - Billerica, MA - 01821
>email:twester@xxxxxxxxxxx - ph: 978-671-5084
>
>"I'm starting With the man in the mirror
>  I'm asking him to change his ways
>  And no message could have been any clearer
>  If you wanna make the world a better place
>  Take a look at yourself, and then make a change"
>

>- "Man in the Mirror", Michael Jackson

>//www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
>
>For help:
>
>List archives are viewable at: