[SI-LIST] Re: Frequency v/s Time Domain analysis

  • From: Ron Miller <ronusoalii@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: darshanmehta2k@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 14:44:32 -0800

Hi Darshan

Time Domain analysis is reality.

The frequency domain was invented to describe certain effects that were
not easily dealt with in the time
domain.  It is a shorthand.

However, since frequency dependent loss and group delay are only
possible in the frequency domain, and
complex semiconductor simulation is only possible in the time domain,
you need both types of simulation.

So, how do you bring the two types of simulation together?

Frequency domain elements like transmission lines should be represented
in the time domain simulation
by a convolution of the impulse response from the frequency domain.  It
is possible to do this with some
constructs from MathCad.  However, this is very involved and requires a
lot of work.

SOLUTION:  ADS from Agilent.  It does all the work. It has a nice
Graphical input with Drag and drop
schematic elements, transmission lines are described by their physical
characteristics, no estimates of inductance
or capacitance is necessary and they are simulated in the frequency
domain.   The mixture of frequency domain
models and time domain models is done in the background and you are home
free.  The best of accuracy world
together with the best of the display world and the best of the easy
input world.  $20K/year.

Ron Miller

Darshan Mehta wrote:

>Hi Experts,
>

>I am new user in High Speed Domain. I am just wondering which simulation
>method is good, either Time Domain or Frequency Domain. I have a board with
>Direct Digital Synthesizer which has Digital interface on one side and Analog
>interface on other side. The Analog frequency output can be from 0 Hz to 150
>MHz. I am not sure whether I should do Digital simulation or Frequency
>simulation.
>

>Could you please tell me, in which scenario I should go for Frequency domain
>Analysis like plotting the graph of Frequency v/s Loss, Frequency v/s
>Amplitude etc and in which case I should opt for Time domain Analysis? Thanks!
>

>Have a Great Day.
>

>-Darshan Mehta

>//www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
>
>For help: