[SI-LIST] Re: Estimate ISI with S parameters -- Using TDR to do SDD21 correlation?

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: John@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 10:43:40 -0400

All,
Ye of little faith.

Let me clarify.  To be more precise than Zhiping, no N-port s-parameter
model is fully accurate until all possible sources of structural and
material losses are accounted for in the matrices. So even 4-port
s-parameters are not enough to characterize a differential pair, unless
it is absolutely isolated from all other coupled or higher order mode
loss mechanisms.  In the case of multiple loss mechanisms, even 4-port
s-parameters are not unique. We can take this to the absurd level if we
wish.   However, I'm just a poor stupid engineer who likes to figure out
how to use the tools I have at my disposal as fully as possible.
Sometimes when you don't have the right tool, you just have to improvise.

But, as a real good engineering approximation, in lieu of all the
equipment necessary to do a multi-port frequency or time domain
extraction and correlation (how many of y'all can measure more than one
4-port differential pair at a time?), we use some simplifying
assumptions to get pretty darn close even with reflected waveforms off a
TDR.  The assumptions are:

    * Insignificant coupling to other structures.
    * Good measurement launches.
    * Insignificant mode conversion.
    * Uniform transmission line structures
    * Apriori knowledge of the transmission line topology. (Obviously a
      single transmission line without discontinuities is best.)
    * Access to the end of the line to make a resistance measurement.
    * Two different line lengths to measure.
          o The lines are significantly long enough that fringing
            effects are negligible.
    * Copper weight of the conductors is known
    * We have a differential TDR and a very accurate microOhm meter.

Given these assumptions we can:

    * Measure the round trip propagation time.
          o  From this, with two different length traces, it is possible
            to compute the Er of the material with reasonable accuracy.
    * Measure the risetime degradation of the reflected signal.
          o  From this, with two different length traces, it is possible
            to compute the 3dB bandwidth of each trace.
    * Measure the even and odd mode impedance of a differential pair
      close to the launch point.
    * Measure the resistance of two different length traces.
    * Measure the risetime of the TDR at the end of the TDR cables.
    * Using a good 2D  field solver:
          o If we know propagation delay, we then can compute Er
            (stripline) or Er(eff) (microstrip).
                + If the trace is stripline, then Er can be entered into
                  the solver.
                + If the trace is microstrip, then you have to start
                  with your apriori known trace geometry and dial in Er
                  until Er(eff) matches the measurements.
          o With a resistance measurement, we pretty much know what the
            area of the trace cross section is.
                + With copper weight known, we use the lower end of the
                  potential thickness tolerance (since material vendors
                  always tend towards the low side in their process,
                  cause' it saves cost on copper) as a known parameter
                  to allow us to compute the etched trace width. For 1/2
                  oz copper use 0.6 mils and assume that the trace
                  profile is a rectangle. (Yes I know it's not, but
                  we're just trying to get within a reasonable error.)
          o With two measurements of risetime degradation at two
            different trace lengths, we can determine the 3dB bandwidth
            of each trace.
          o Using the apriori known structures
               1. Dial in the individual trace geometry so that low
                  frequency resistance is a match.
               2. Vary plane height and trace spacing until even and odd
                  mode impedance are a reasonable match to the measured
                  result within a few inches of the launch point.
                  (remember, you already have apriori knowledge of the
                  general trace geometry in the stackup, which is what
                  allows you to get quite close to the actual spacings.)
               3. With 1 and 2 accomplished, we can now adjust tanDelta
                  in the solver to achieve the correct 3dB bandwidth for
                  each trace length measured
          o At this point a w-element model of the traces that we
            measured can be entered into Hspice. If your solver can
            output frequency dependent table models, (like Apsim RLGC
            and Ansoft 2D)  then the fit will be much better, since
            internal inductance change across frequency is better modeled.
                + The measured TDR response at the DUT can be imported
                  into Hspice as a pwl used to drive the simulation.
                + The measured TDR reflected responses can also be
                  captured as a pwl for comparison to the simulation.
                + A simple capacitive or inductive model for the launch
                  discontinuity can be entered as a simple LC circuit.
                      # Since we have a pwl of the actual TDR launch
                        waveform, we can adjust the LC circuit in
                        simulation to match the leading discontinuity in
                        the measured TDR profile.
                            * If you have multiple high and low
                              impedance discontinuities in the launch,
                              then add additiona L's and C's to cover
                              each and then optimize each for a
                              reasonable correlation to the measured
                              response.
                + We then compare the measured TDR reflected waveform,
                  from an open or shorted end of the line, to the
                  simulated reflected waveform.
                      # Tweek the transmission line parameters until you
                        get the best match for both line lengths.

regards,

Scott

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of

John Lin (???) wrote:

>Hi Zhiping,
>Yes, I think you are right. It just like to build a RLGC models from
>S-parameter matrix. There are a lot of values for R,L,G,C.
>However, If not try to construct a complete S2P matrix, but only use S11
>measurement  to prove correct S21  simulation result.
>It may be OK, right?
>
>Thanks,
>John

List FAQ wiki page is located at: