[SI-LIST] Re: Effect of Stub-Length on Max. Length Calculation

  • From: chris.mcgrath@xxxxxxxx
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 05:48:52 -0800

You are correct in your assertion that in your situation (PCI?) your max bus
length is governed by the load farthest from the driver, although since test
points are generally not used except in the lab, I prefer to put test points
at some point within the bus and not on its own stub.  This can be a little
trickier during routing and layout, but I think it is a better approach to
the problem if constraints don't restrict this approach

As always, stubs or other topologies that induce similar effects in
reflective switching environments should be simulated (most applicably,
post-route) extensively to insure that stray reflections induced by stubs
don't adversely affect other loads on the bus during times when the bus is
active.  In other words, care should be taken in looking at the signals
being received at all points in the load individually and not just at the
Driver and Receiver1.  I apologize if this seems intuitive.

-Chris

List archives are viewable at: