[SI-LIST] Re: ESD protection devices

  • From: Nigel Hughes <nigel.hughes@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 11:40:29 +0100

Hi Geoff,

thanks for your comment.  There exist some pretty low capacitance devices
out there now days (both zeners and varistors - eg.
http://www.amotech.co.kr/kor/pdf/smd_varistor_avlc_series.pdf &
http://www.protekdevices.com/products_lowcap.htm).  However as the fastest
data rate I am concerned with is a max of about 200kbps I don't think this
is a big issue.  By the way for this data rate, have you a suggestion of
what sort of 3dB frequency should be chosen for the EMC/ESD filter at this
port?

I also thought I would mention something that is so often over looked in
the consideration of ESD protection - as the design I am concerned with is
for handheld battery operated equipment, there is no real return path for
the ESD to flow in and hence I don't think this concept can not be used
with (small) battery operated equipment when looking at signal integrity
issues.

Nigel.

List archives are viewable at: