[SI-LIST] Re: E-M SOLVERS - HOW DO THEY WORK?

  • From: "Jian X. Zheng" <jian@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <SRogers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 09:06:07 -0800

Hi, Steve:

I would like to give some comments on it.

1. Most general purpose electromagnetic simulators are like you say. They
will divide the areas of interest into small cells. Then, they will solve
the current distribution and field distribution on the small cells
represented linearly on the cells.

2. All field solvers are solving the the differential equations with some
specified boundary conditions. Static solvers are solving the laplace
equations: D*D phi = 0, where D is the (d/dx X + d/dy Y + d/dz Z). Full wave
solvers are solving some equations similar to:   D*D phi + k*k * phi = 0,
where k is the wave number. This is the most fundamental equation. However,
the real ones may be much more sophisticated.

3. The fundamental of the full wave solvers are, in fact, the Maxwell's
equations. Finite Difference Time domain method tries to solve the Maxwell's
equations directly. It uses finite difference to repace the differential and
it solves the field in the space of interest. Normally, its solution domain
is the 3D space and there are many unknowns associated with the small cells.
However, some methods do not solve the Maxwell's equations directly. For
example, method of moment tries to convert the Maxwell's equations into
integral equation forms. The unknowns are the current distribution on the
surface of the metallic trace only. Its solution domain is much smaller than
those solving the field distribution. However, a general method of moment
code is much more difficult to implement and validate than a FDTD code.
Normally, method of moment codes are more accurate than FDTD codes because
of the nature of integration. The integration process always tries to reduce
the errors.

4. All the full wave simulators start from the microwave and antenna
technology. When they are applied to microwave circuits or other circuits,
they use the so-called de-embedding schemes to extract circuit parameters.
The simulation starts from some stimulus from the source. For example, if it
is a microwave circuit, the circuit is fed by a uniform transmission line
(TLN). The source is somewhere at the starting point of the TLN. The source
will excite the incident wave, and the incident wave will hit the cirucit or
the discontinuities. Part of the power will be reflected back and part of it
will go through the discontinuities. When we have multiple ports,
eventually, we want to describe the multiple port network using the [S]
matrix which determines the linear relationship between the incident and
reflected waves at each port.

5. In real implementation of full wave solvers, the sources are almost
hidden from the useres. Users normally just need to construct the goemetry
and define the ports on them. Construction of geometry normally require some
specific rules, depending upon the kinds of simulator it is.

I hope that above brief explanation is clear to you. Thanks!

Best regards,

Jian-X. Zheng, Ph.D
Zeland Software, Inc., 48890 Milmont Drive, 105D, Fremont, CA 94538, U.S.A.
Tel: 510-623-7162, Fax: 510-623-7135, Web: http://www.zeland.com

List archives are viewable at: