[SI-LIST] Re: Driver strength and trace capacitance

  • From: "Mangipudi, Prasad" <Prasad_Mangipudi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Ravinder.Ajmani@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 17:13:13 -0700

Ravinder,

Since the drive strength is high, the rise and fall times may be small
and this increases the knee frequency (0.5/tR or .5/tF whichever is
more, where tR is the rise time and tF is fall time).  The trace will be
considered distributed if it is longer than L/6 where L is the length of
the rising edge =3D tR/D where D is the delay in ps/in.  If the rise =
time
is approximately 1 ns, then traces longer than 1" are considered as
distributed.  The above formulas (1.1, and 1.3 ) are given in Howard
Johnson's book "High Speed Digital Design" and you can do your math.

Regards,
Prasad