[SI-LIST] Re: Difference betweem single stripline & dual stripline

  • From: andrew.c.byers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx, whizplayer@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 09:45:10 -0700

Hello Bob and all,

Two comments on broadside-coupled striplines vs. edge-coupled striplines:

1) As frequencies increase and you enter the skin effect region, your
conductive loss will increase with the square root of frequency. But with
coupled lines, there is another mechanism that influences the loss curve,
which is called the "proximity effect". This is essentially currents
crowding to the edge of the stripline that is closer to the other line. This
effect can be difficult to quantify without an EM solver that solves for
currents in the conductors. There might be some approximate equations people
have developed in dissertations out there. My point is that the
broadside-coupled striplines will behave differently with regard to this
current crowding phenomenon. Of course, this won't really matter too much if
your loss is dominated by the dielectric loss tangent...

2) Depending on how flexible your via choices are, it might be more
difficult (and unbalanced) to hook into a broadside-coupled stripline
configuration. You will have to use a longer via or two microvias to get to
the lower trace, and maybe design some funny transition. Any difference in
path length or discontinuity will generate common mode, which you probably
don't want. Keeping the striplines on the same layer gives you a better shot
at keeping both lines absolutely symmetric.

Andrew Byers