[SI-LIST] Design Guide or Analysis?

  • From: Gregory R Edlund <gedlund@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 16:11:18 -0500

I'm looking for anecdotal information regarding what percentage of new
projects implement rules from a design guide and how many generate new
rules based on first principles analysis and simulation.  You can comment
on your own shop (if you feel so inclined) or give your impression of the
state of the industry in general.  Please distinguish between the two.
Since I work for a services group, most all of our projects involve
analysis and rule development since folks can read a design guide
themselves for a lot less money!  Naturally we have a library of
interfaces we've used dozens of times, and we use our collective history
for these nets.

My impression is that component vendors are becoming the "new" center of
SI knowledge, and their customers are looking to them more and more for
design guidance.  Maybe this trend has been going on for some time and I'm
just figuring it out now.  If my observation is correct, this represents a
fundamental shift away from system houses driving the performance
envelope.

Greg Edlund
Senior Engineer
Signal Integrity