[SI-LIST] Re: Damaging LVDS inputs (with embedded termination) using LVPECLvoltage swings?

  • From: Bill.Cohen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: sa_jr@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 17:39:41 -0400

Sal,

Actually we have an LVDS receiver with a common mode range from 0 to 2.=
4V.
The PECL swing we dealt with was differential and had an input swing of=

+/-500mV. So we wouldn't conduct through the ESD protection resistors t=
the power supply. Our main concern was exceeding the power supply volta=
ge
on the far end.

So if the common mode range of the LVDS receiver is wide enough this ca=
n be
done. If it is a single ended signal we suggest using an external 100 o=
hm
termination resistor to terminate the 50 ohm t-line at the FE properly.=

| Bill Cohen
| Toshiba America Electronic Components, Circuit Design Group
| email: wcohen@xxxxxxxx
| office: (508) 486-1031               fax: (508) 481-8828

                                                                       =
                                               =20
                    Sal "Agui=F1aga"                                   =
                                                 =20
                    <sa_jr@xxxxxxxxx>        To:     Roy.Leventhal@ieee=
.org, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                    =20
                    Sent by:                 cc:                       =
                                               =20
                    si-list-bounce@fre       Subject:     [SI-LIST] Dam=
aging LVDS inputs (with embedded termination)  =20
                    elists.org                using LVPECL voltage swin=
gs?                                            =20
                                                                       =
                                               =20
                                                                       =
                                               =20
                    08/26/02 05:00 PM                                  =
                                               =20
                    Please respond to                                  =
                                               =20
                    sa_jr                                              =
                                               =20
                                                                       =
                                               =20
                                                                       =
                                               =20

Hello All!

Is there a risk of damaging a device if an LVPECL
voltage swing is driven into an LVDS receiver?

*** (not designed to work like this, but in case of
user error this could happen ) ***

If the voltage swing is about 750 to 1000 mV with a
offset of 2.0 Volts, will it damage the LVDS receiver?
 The LVDS receiver has an embedded 100 ohm termination
resitor between the +/- pins.  At the moment the
connection is point to point without AC coupling.

I would appreciate a response if some of you have come
accross this one.

Thank you.

Sal Aguinaga Jr.
Rolling Meadows, IL