[SI-LIST] DDR2 CMD/CTRL vs. CK Skew compensation problems

  • From: "LV Fang" <fanglv1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 13:06:37 +0000

Hi all,
I am trying to design one DDR2 EVB board with one DIMM slot working at
667Mbps. During the board routing, I am planing to keep CMD/CTRL lengh
matching with clk signal as possible as I can. However, when I did
pre-layout SI simulation for CMD/CTRL vs. CLK(assuming unbufferd DIMM Card
F has been inserted into the slot), the timing analysis results show that
the CMD signal at receiver pad side has much longer flight time than clk
signal, and sometimes CMD  is even sampled at the next clk cycle instead of
the corresponding clk cycle, which violates the read latency and write
latency requirements. I checked the topology and found that in unbufferd
DIMM card F, CMD trace lengh is almost 100mm longer than the CK trace.
Based on my understandings, two ways may solve this problem. One is tuning
silicon IO DLL timing,the other is extending the clk lengh on the EVB
board. My question is:
1. How can I balance the two methods? Is there the third way to slove this
problem?
2. In your unbufferd DIMM card mother board design, typically how much
length difference between CMD and CLK signal group?
3. if the Register DIMM card instead unbuffered DIMM card insert into slot,
what's the length match requirement in mother board design? Shall I need
set my read and write latency one more cycle or EPROM in DIMM card has done
it automatically?

Really appreciate your inputs.

fang

List technical documents are available at: