[SI-LIST] Re: Crosstalk

  • From: "Jim Antonellis" <janton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mrepala@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 08:45:34 -0400

Murali,

I will provide some general insight below, but I must strongly
encourage you to at least a google web search to start reading
some materials, or even better, if you will be staying in si,
purchase a book or two (the si-list archives are full of
recommendations).

In short, the crosstalk induced on a victim net, by any number
of aggressor nets will be the mutual capacitance and mutual
inductance between the victim and the aggressors, as well as
the e-field and i-field strengths. (other things like source
and dest impedance makes a diference, as well as stackup in
the vertical direction).

A quick insight would be to visualize one etch, in cross section,
traveling into yor computer screen. Now draw several concentric
circles eminating outward from the etch (all circles are centered
at the etch). If a second etch, parallel to the first etch, is
in anny of the concentric circles the second etch (victim) will
be effected by what signaling fields are on the first (aggressor)
etch. The inner fields are stronger than the outer fields and in
general you will see an inverse proportion to distance ^2.

NOTE: I have taken many liberties and made many oversimplifications
in the above description, please read some material on the topic.

Jim
-
Jim Antonellis   janton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sandburst Corp   www.sandburst.com
Office: 978.689.1669
Cell: 978.618.4745

This message and any attachments are Confidential and may be Legally
Privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you are not
the intended recipient, please delete this message from your system
and notify us immediately. Any dis-closure, copying, distribution or
action taken or omitted to be taken by an unintended recipient in
reliance on this message is prohibited and may be unlawful.