[SI-LIST] Re: Cross-Hatched Reference Planes

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cadpro2k@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 17:44:07 -0400

Mitch
Cross-hatched reference planes can be quite effective for signaling, if
engineered correctly.  I've had need of them when designing high
performance flex circuits and found that with a little bit of
engineering intuition, followed up with some 3D fullwave simulations to
verify that intuition, it is possible to avoid problems.  But, you have
to do the engineering, and the mesh holes (and or routing) must be done
deliberately.  Unfortunately, CAD support for meshed planes is poor at
best, allowing little control of where the holes are placed with respect
to traces.  This is what leads to significant impedance control and
crosstalk problem. (Pass two traces over the identical row of mesh
holes, across a significant length, and you'll see crosstalk skyrocket.
Or pass one side of a differential pair across mesh holes and the other
side across a solid plane, and watch the differential impedance and skew
get wacky.)

Except for flex circuits and packages, I've never had the need for
meshed planes.  But in those instances, it is possible to engineer
quiet, impedance controlled systems with the proper attention to detail.

Scott

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of

Mitch S. Morey wrote:
> Stay ahead of the information curve.
> Receive PCB news and jobs on your desktop daily.
> Subscribe today to the PCB CafeNews newsletter.
> [ http://www10.pcbcafe.com/nl/newsletter_subscribe.php ]
> It's informative and essential.
> This message was sent to you from a machine at 192.35.156.11
>
> -- Attached file included as plaintext by Ecartis --
> -- File: Re: [SI-LIST] Re: Cross-hatched reference planes.eml

> Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 10:43:01 -0700 (PDT)
> Subject: Re: [SI-LIST] Re: Cross-hatched reference planes
> From: "Mitch S. Morey" <cadpro2k@xxxxxxxxxx>
> To: leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> And another response comes to mind when you get back to original question
> of "Cross-Hatched" and "Reference Planes"
>
> If you imply reference planes to be impedance associated reference planes,
> then: "Cross-Hatched Reference Planes equal disaster." If they are simply
> cross hatched power planes, that's a different matter. Still, like Lee
> mentions, with PCBs very select (few) cases are warranted.
>
> Good day.
> Mitch
>

>> Jeff,
>>
>> I agree that there are a few exotic places where laminate to laminate
>> bonding is needed and is accomplished using cross hatching as well as in
>> flex circuits to improve flexibility, which I think was the original
>> question.
>>
>> I responded the way I did because there are still those who want to see
>> this done to ordinary PCBs made from copper and FR4 class resins, where it
>> was needed long ago.  I did several designs this way just to prevent
>> delaminataion.  The industry fixed this problem long ago.
>>
>> I don't think there is much to debate here.  My goal was to make sure that
>> this old sock did not creep back into standard multilayer board design.
>> And, yes, this is often necessary in multilayer ceramic IC packages.
>>
>> Lee Ritchey

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: