[SI-LIST] Re: Coaxial Cable crosstalk

  • From: "Daniel, Erik S., Ph.D." <Daniel.Erik@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: deibele@xxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 23:01:35 -0600

Craig-

Although it's possible you could estimate the crosstalk by solving the
fields in the simple geometries you indicated in one of your e-mails, we've
found that this method grossly underestimates the crosstalk (overestimates
the isolation) in the cases we briefly looked at (again at ~1 GHz in good
laboratory cables).  Perhaps in your case where the cable shield thickness
is comparable to or less than a skin depth (as opposed to many many skin
depths as in our case), this would yield more reasonable answers.  Scott's
note regarding matching of simulation and measurement in PCB structures
would seem to support this.

I was confused by your last note as you mentioned that you "weren't
interested in any specific cable", yet it seems you have a specific
application in mind coupling of high current transients on one cable or set
of cables to a (presumably a differential) signal on twinax.  If you did
have specific cables in mind, again, I'd suggest going the measurement
route.  I assume you would want to determine the coupling of the high
current cable to both the even and odd modes on the twinax.  We did similar
measurements of crosstalk betweeen two diff pairs using baluns to source /
sense either the even or odd mode on each pair -- a method that seemed to
work well for our frequencies of interest.

                                        - Erik

Erik Daniel, Ph.D.                   Voice:  (507) 538-5461
Mayo Foundation                      Fax:    (507) 284-9171
200 First Street SW                  E-mail: daniel.erik@xxxxxxxx
Rochester, MN  55905                 Web:    www.mayo.edu/sppdg/

List archives are viewable at: