[SI-LIST] Re: Capacitor ESR

  • From: Doug Smith <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mappiani@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 12:11:20 -0700

Hi Mario,

I am replying to the group as there may be general interest.

If you don't have access to an network analyzer (and even if you do as
the result of my suggestion may be easier to apply to SI), you might
try the simple method on my website at: http://emcesd.com/tt020100.htm

Measure a few caps this way and put the data into your model.

Doug

mappiani@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Is a cap's ESR value specified at it's resonant freq? I seem to remember
> seeing some spec sheet for tantalum caps specifying an ESR value at 100KHz.
>
> I was trying to model up a power input filter and for the capacitors and I
> realized that I didn't really understood where the ESR number came from. I
> wanted to use the ESR at my frequency of interest but that didn't seem
> right for a cap model. I get that ESL is tied to the package size and
> pretty well fixed but I 'm not sure about what ESR value to use.
>
> Thanks for any input.
>
> MArio

> List archives are viewable at:

     ___          _       Doug Smith
      \          / )      P.O. Box 1457
       =========          Los Gatos, CA 95031-1457
    _ / \     / \ _       TEL/FAX: 408-356-4186/358-3799
  /  /\  \ ] /  /\  \     Mobile:  408-858-4528
|  q-----( )  |  o  |    Email:   doug@xxxxxxxxxx
  \ _ /    ]    \ _ /     Website: http://www.dsmith.org

List archives are viewable at: