[SI-LIST] Re: Cap discontinuity

  • From: "Hassan O. Ali" <hassan@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "mittalr@xxxxxxxxxx" <mittalr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 15:26:54 -0400 (EDT)

Check out impedance vs. frequency characteristics of the cap. Find out if the
cap's
impedance (not just ESR or ESL) is low enough in the bandwidth of your
interest. For
example, if the maximum (in your bandwidth) is under 1 ohm than you don't have
to worry.
If it is above that then you can set-up a simple simulation with the cap
represented by
an equivalent circuit consisting of the cap's ESR, its ideal capacitance, and
its ESL
all in series. Check if the cap's equivalent circuit has any impact on signal
integrity.

Regards.

Hassan.

On May 16, "mittalr@xxxxxxxxxx" <mittalr@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  Thanks for your comments, Jian.
>
> However, I still don't know the answer - does the width of the pad versus the
> trace
matter. I know the cap will cause discontinuity, as you mentioned below. Can we
safely
assume that the discontinuity from the pad is much less than the the cap. I
can't find a
simple simulation to do to verify.

> Thanks

List archives are viewable at: