[SI-LIST] Can anybody help me out?! about the quality factor of inductor

  • From: "eegjf" <eegjf@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 17:31:23 +0800

Dear All,

I am doing the simulation and measurement of spiral inductor on silicon.
Based on C. P. Yue's paper (IEDM96), there are two configurations of
lumped-element model of spiral inductor on silicon: one port configuration
with one end grounded and two port configuration. When I do the S- parameter
simulation using ADS, I got two different results of quality factor.

Case I: (one port simulation)
One end connected with 50ohm terminal and the other end with ground.

Case II: (two port simulation)

Z11=2*50*S11/(1-S11)
Q=imag(Z11)/real(Z11)
This is what I saw in one paper on IEDM 97.

Case III: (two port simulation)
Both ends connected with 50ohm terminal. The quality factor was calculated as:
Sp=S11-S12*S21/(1+S22)
Z=50*(1+Sp)/(1-Sp)
Q=imag(Z)/real(Z)
This is what I saw in one post in this list.

Case I and Case III give the same results but case II gives different and much
worse
result (only half of quality factor value of Case I and III). So which one is
the RIGHT way to do it?

I feel more confused after I followed some papers' example and checked my
simulated results with
their measured results. I found other peoples' one-port measurement results
were close to the
Case II simulation instead of Case I.  What's wrong with this?

Please Please help me out!!
Thank you so much

Johnson

List technical documents are available at: