[SI-LIST] Biasing 1000 BaseT signals

  • From: "Mikhail Matusov" <matusov@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 14:52:56 -0500

Hi all,

I am trying to use a LAN mux/demux (TI TS3L301 or Pericom PI3L301D-A), which
is essentially a digital CMOS switch. It requires the signals passing
through to be positively biased. The side of the switch connected to a PHY
will have biasing without any effort on my side, however the other side will
not as I am using AC coupling to drive/receive signals from PICMG 2.16
backplane. So, to bring this into the SI field, can I add biasing through
some big resistors to the 1000 BaseT lines or is it a big no-no?...
Remember, it is a short backplane LAN. Or can I even get away without
biasing the other side of the switch (sorry, this part of the question is
probably OT)?...

Thanks,
Mikhail Matusov
Senior Hardware Design Engineer